Guerlain is one of the oldest and most prestigious perfume, cosmetics and skincare brands in the world. Founded in 1828 by Pierre-François Pascal Guerlain, the House of Guerlain has been creating luxurious beauty products for over 190 years. Based in Paris, Guerlain epitomizes French artistry, craftsmanship and style. In this blog post, we’ll explore the rich history of the brand, its iconic fragrances, and what makes Guerlain such an enduring symbol of luxury.
A Storied History
Guerlain has been passed down through the Guerlain family for six generations. Pierre-François Pascal originally opened his perfume store on Rue de Rivoli in Paris. The brand quickly became known for its premium natural ingredients and complex, multi-faceted fragrances. Guerlain created custom fragrances for royalty and aristocracy across Europe, earning a reputation for excellence.
Some of Guerlain’s most famous early fragrances include Eau de Cologne Impériale for French emperor Napoleon III, as well as the floralVoilette de Madame for Madame de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III. The brand expanded into skincare and makeup, always emphasizing luxury formulations and exquisite packaging. Today, Guerlain continues to be owned by the Guerlain family, now under Pierre-Alexis Dumas.
Guerlain has created over 700 fragrances since 1828 but some of its most famous scents include:
- Shalimar: Created in 1925, this exotic vanilla-Oriental fragrance has endured for nearly 100 years. Known for its iconic blue glass bottle.
- L’Heure Bleue: Introduced in 1912, this romantic floral fragrance blends roses, jasmine and apricot. One of Guerlain’s most beloved fragrances.
- Mitsouko: Launched in 1919, this spicy chypre fragrance opens with fruity peach and bergamot. Considered a masterpiece of perfumery.
- Samsara: A rich sandalwood Oriental fragrance for women created in 1989. The red glass bottle is inspired by a Khmer dancer.
- Habit Rouge: Masculine fragrance from 1965 with sensual notes of vanilla, citrus, spices and woods. Showcases Guerlain’s expertise with oriental perfumes.
The Epitome of Luxury
What makes Guerlain such an enduring symbol of luxury? Attention to detail, premium natural ingredients, and a timeless sense of sophistication define the brand. Guerlain has crafted perfumes, powders, creams and makeup used by royalty, celebrities, and discerning clients for nearly two centuries.
Guerlain’s makeup and skincare formulas utilize active ingredients like orchid extract and antioxidant-rich bee products cultivated on their own farms. Custom gold, glass and crystal packaging reflects the brand’s commitment to aesthetics. Guerlain also combines tradition with innovation: the Orchidée Impériale skincare line uses advanced technology to deliver anti-aging benefits, while limited edition makeup and fragrances allow loyal clients to experience new interpretations of classic Guerlain style.
From 19th century apothecary shop to 21st century luxury leader, Guerlain has continuously delivered excellence and artistry across its beauty categories. The brand maintains its ideals of quality ingredients, refinement and romance. After 190 years, Guerlain continues to be a pinnacle of French luxury and beauty around the world.